Friday 16 March 2018

Early Growth Tests

After building the curves, I decided to do some quick growth tests to test how the growth would look. Before building any complex tool, I just used a simple carve SOP to make the curves grow from point A to point B.

This doesn't have any overlap and isn't too interesting, but it kind of just proves that the carve SOP will almost definitely be used for this solver. Take a look here:


















Next, I wanted to see how the growth would look with an offset, I did this manually with each curve to start with, getting the carve to grow at slightly different times. I also added a quick splash of colour to get it to look like the original idea just for this test. Here's how that looked:


















You can see there that there is quite a fair amount of overlap, which I'll sort out once I have an idea of how the growth will work.

As these were cables, I wanted the cables to have cable attachments (like an RJ-45 ethernet connector etc) so I did a little test that attached a piece of geometry to a point. It used an up vector to keep the geometry facing the right way, no matter where the point moved.

Got that little trick from Tighe Rzankowski over at SideFX here. He attached a hose nozzle to a hose cable using this trick. Here's how it looks in Houdini:




















Now, I'm not sure I'll use this in the final thing as I kind of prefer it without the cable connectors, but we'll see!

That's all for now folks, see you around. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment